The Association of State Wetland Managers (ASWM) conducted a study of state-level wetland work in all fifty states. ASWM’s national study was designed to: 1) assess status and trends; 2) identify models and lessons learned; and 3) document information and program development needs. Information gathered for each state included a focus on status of work towards each of EPA’s four Core Elements. Data collection was completed for a snapshot of the year 2014 and the report will be available in July 2015.
For each of the 50 states, ASWM documented the status of the state’s:
- Wetland Regulations and Programs;
- Wetland Monitoring and assessment;
- Voluntary Wetland Restoration Programs and Activities;
- Wetland Water Quality Standards;
- Adaptation and/or Climate Change Activities Involving Wetlands;
- Areas of Integration with Other State Programs; and
- Unique Education and Outreach Models.
The final ASWM report, Status and Trends Report on State Wetland Programs in the United States, provides a comprehensive look at how states are approaching each of the four core elements for state wetland programs, including state summary documents, comparative data analysis and maps, descriptive text on status and trends and documentation of potential models.
Additionally, the report includes a set of recommendations for supporting states and links to additional information for states and tribes to use as a resource for developing their own state programs.
Additional resources about sustainable financing can be found here.
Please click on any state below for a direct link to any of ASWM"s 50 State Wetland Program Summaries.
ASWM Publications & Resources
ASWM has prepared a number of reports on the challenges faced by state-level wetland regulatory programs. Each report is available in PDF format and may be viewed and/or downloaded by clicking on the link.
- Wetland Program Plans: A Strategic Took for States & Tribes (March 2012)
- Section 401 Certification Best Practices in Dredge and Fill Permit Programs (January 2012)
- The SWANCC Decision: State Regulation of Wetlands to Fill the Gap (March 4, 2004)
- Model State Wetland Statute to Close the Gap Created by SWANCC (February 22, 2001)
- Common Questions: State Wetland Regulatory Programs (June 26, 2006)
Other Publications & Resources
- ELI Study of State Wetland Programs (2003)
- WetlandForms.com (USACE)
- The States’ Definitions of ‘Waters of the State” (ECOS – February 2009)
- State of the Delaware Estuary Report (Summer 2008)
- Great Lakes Regional Collaboration Habitat/Wetlands Initiative: A Progress Report and Call to Action (June 2008)
- State Wetland Protection: Status, Trends & Model Approaches (March 2008)
- Dam Removal and Wetland Regulations (MA DEP – 2007)
- University of New Hampshire Stormwater Center 2007 Annual Report
- How Will Rapanos Affect Us? (November 2006)